Program managers, project directors or senior project managers.
Prerequisite: Project Planning for Success, Project Management Boot Camp or equivalent.
The seminar will provide enhanced knowledge to establish a governance structure for projects at the corporate and project levels. Core topics include corporate planning, project selection, project initiation (feasibility studies and business cases), and planning and control methods for large projects. The seminar is hands on with group workshops built around a case which commences with corporate planning and runs through to project planning. All materials taught are compliant with the guidelines established in A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, PMBOK®, 5th Edition, from the Project Management Institute.
- Communication Models
- Communications Impacts on Projects
- Communications & Project Success
- Workshop: Communications Discussion
Organizing for Large, Complex Environments
- Governance Model
- Project Management Offices
- Matrix Management
- Managing Dispersed Teams
- Workshop: Setting Up a PMO
- Portfolio Examples
- Workshop: Defining Portfolios
- Project Risk Profile
- Risk Management Software
- Project Selection Model
- Project Selection Methodology
- Workshop: Initiative Identification
- Workshop: Initiative Selection
- Project Initiation Process
- Initial Project Charter
- Workshop: Project Charter
- Initial Stakeholder Analysis
- Workshop: Stakeholder Analysis
- Feasibility Study
- Feasibility Study Model
- Workshop Discussion: Feasibility Studies
- Business Case
- Business Alternatives
- Business Case Model
- Workshop: Business Case WBS
- Expanded Scope Planning
- Workshop: Project Charter
Large Project WBS
- Workshop: WBS Development
- Class of Estimates
- Workshop Discussion: Class of Estimates
Work Package Planning
- Scheduling Approaches
- Large Project Labour Contingency
- Workshop Discussion: Contingency
- Workshop: Contingency Calculation
Large Project Budget Planning
- Workshop Discussion: Budget Planning
- Completing the Plan
- Change Control
- Document Management
- PM System Software
- Schedule & Budget Control
- Updating Schedule
- Updating Budget
- Workshop: Forecasting
Conclusion & Wrap Up
By the completion of the seminar, participants will:
- Be introduced to the critical importance of corporate planning.
- Have a thorough grasp of the project selection and initiation processes.
- Acquire advanced project planning skills with emphasis on:
- Work breakdown structures for large programs and projects.
- Determining project contingencies.
- Developing schedules with time buffers.
- Developing complex project budgets for planned value (performance), commitments and cash flow.
- Obtain expanded skills in change control, document management, schedule and budget forecasting using trend analysis and earned value techniques.