The course is intended for senior level managers, including program managers, project directors, project managers and functional managers who have a need to expand their project management capabilities.
As people are the central resource for every project, this seminar will focus on the critical soft skills of leadership, communications, conflict management, and project organization. Several approaches to project team organization will be explored, including the benefits of each method. An overview on team building will complement project team organization. Learning will be encouraged through group discussions and a project organization case workshop. All materials taught are compliant with the guidelines established in A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, PMBOK®, 5th Edition, from the Project Management Institute.
- The Effective Project Environment Model
- The Project Lifecycle
- Characteristics of an Effective Project Manager
Leadership of the Team
- Leadership Principles
- Managing Multi-Cultural, Multi-Language Team Members
- Workshop: Group Discussion on Leadership
- Communications Audiences
- Communications Media
- Communications Impact
- Impacts of Conflict
- Modes of Conflict Management
- Workshop: Group Discussion on Conflict
Running Project Meetings
- Project Personnel Titles
- The Basic Project Organization
- Types of Project Organizational Structures
- Comparison of Approaches
- Full Team
- Matrix Team
- The Project Office
- Workshop: Project Organization
Corporate Project Organization Issues
- Project Steering Committees
- The Project Management Office
- Portfolio Management
- Definition of a Team
- Barriers to Team Building
Conclusion & Wrap Up
By the completion of the seminar, participants will:
- Gain an understanding of leadership principles.
- Appreciate the need for effective communications practices.
- Be able to organize a project team within the context of the project manager’s corporate environment.