How to convey technical information effectively
This course is designed for employees working in a technical environment, intermediate and experienced writers who produce a variety of documentation and need to convey technical information aimed at various audiences. Also, managers who edit the work of their team will gain practical techniques to present persuasive messages to achieve desired outcomes.
This two-day workshop will strengthen your skills to convey technical information in plain language, so that your documentation is easy to understand and easy to follow for the reader. You will learn and practise key concepts, critique samples and review checklists. With the tools and techniques provided, participants will be equipped to plan, write and edit technical documents, working their way through the writing process to convey complex or technical information clearly and exploring how to determine an audience’s needs as well as strategies for editing various documents.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Determine the needs of various audiences
- Plan a writing project
- Organize the time needed to create different types of documentation
- Write in plain language, avoiding the use of highly technical terminology
- Create step-by-step procedures that enable a user to complete the task(s) safely and correctly
- Create front-end sections for procedures
- Leverage headings and chunk information to increase readability
- Use diagrams, tables, lists, examples and analogies effectively to convey technical information
- Develop clear process descriptions, as needed
- Edit a document to improve logic flow, consistency, grammar and punctuation, etc.
Elva Keip Elva has provided training for a range of organizations in both the private and not-for-profit sectors and for several government departments. In addition to the workshops, Elva also offers one-on-one coaching as an effective means to support participants in taking their writing skills to the next level.