How to craft an effective briefing note to the Minister and senior levels
This workshop is designed for officers, analysts, specialists, and others at the entry and intermediate levels, such as EC/PM/AS-1 to EC/PM/AS-6 or equivalent, who are responsible for producing or reviewing briefing documents. Whether you have limited or extensive experience with briefings, you will learn techniques to create texts that address the executive’s concerns and achieve the desired outcome.
This workshop helps writers prepare a succinct document, with ideas logically presented and in an easy to-read format. You will learn how to analyze and structure your information, ensuring a concise first draft with a targeted summary.
When delivered to a group from a specific department, this course is modified to meet departmental requirements. In the case of public deliveries, where participants come from different departments, the workshop offers tips that apply to a wide range of templates and styles.
- The purposes and context of briefing notes and memoranda
- Understanding the recipient’s information needs
- How to analyze the issue and reach a strategic recommendation or position
- Efficient use of writing time
- The intent of each section of a standardized format
- An evaluation checklist for the final draft
- How to critique and edit a draft for accuracy, clarity and brevity
Elva has provided training for a range of organizations in both the private and not-for-profit sectors and for several government departments. In addition to the workshops, Elva also offers one-on-one coaching as an effective means to support participants in taking their writing skills to the next level.
I will never take a course anywhere other than Building Blocks."
"Instructor was very knowledgeable, easy going and kept everyone on track."